In the UK, we say hello and then we say how are you? The response is fine unless it is a close friend who asks you in a particular way and you know they really want to know. A Spanish friend has instructed her mum that when she comes here she is to say fine and not to list all her ailments. A Polish person told me that she tried for a week at work to give real answers to the question to see if they really wanted to know. They didn’t.
Our most recent posts
- Redundancy – an occupational hazard – Willem’s story. 17th October 2019
- Learning English helps you find a job: Katana’ story 4th October 2019
- Living and studying in Aberysytwyth 26th September 2019
- Year 8 and the new marking system 12th September 2019
- Reflections on the first year at secondary school 5th September 2019